Translate

Wednesday 17 September 2014

EUROPEAN SKIES PISSING DOWN
UNSEASONABLE RAINS,
WARM INTERMITTENT SHOWERS
BLESS UNHOLY GROUND

The rain dances
Blessings down

Oh the blessing rain falls
On this alien ground

I walk bare-headed
My hands extended
To catch drink
Lick the blessing
From my worshipping
Palms.

Sweet soft
Warm rain
Sings down
Jewels my hair
Kisses my lips
Blesses my day
With peace

I wish
To kick my shoes
To Nevermind
Dance in the
Silky mud
Let my dignity
Slide

But the man next to me
Shudders, hides
Behind a cupped
Wire device:
“I hate the rain
I hate the mud,
Look at my feet,
Full of this crud!”

“Too true” squeaks
The Lady with
A rainbow-brolly
“It’s just not jolly,
I hate this rain
It’s such a pain…”

I stand as still as I can
But I just can’t hide:
My feet hop-skip
My shoulders swing
My lips intone
A soundless song

I dance, I dance
And the blessing
Rain,
The kissing
Rain, will drain
For this one day
The pain of exile
Away.


Manuela Cardiga

No comments:

Post a Comment